Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 40 m servings 297
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Combine salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and cayenne in a bowl. Marinate chicken leg quarters in the homemade seasoning rub for 4 to 8 hours.
- At the same time, set an electric smoker to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C) for 3 hours. Keep the top vent closed.
- Place 1 chicken leg quarter on each of the wire racks. Place the racks into the smoker. Add water to the water pan. Add 2 loads of soaked wood chips according to manufacturer's instructions and open the vent.
- Smoke chicken until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 2 1/2 hours, adding more wood chips after each hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can marinate the chicken in a premade brine, a homemade brine (with water, apple juice, salt, and sugar), or Italian dressing instead of the seasoning rub. However, do not marinate for more than 8 hours or vinegars start to cook the meat.
- You can use any wood chips you like. Add apple juice to the water pan if desired.
- Smoke to 225 degrees F (107 degrees C) if you remove the skin before marinating.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of marinade ingredients. The actual amount of marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 297 calories; 13 1.4 41.4 143 3627 Full nutrition