Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 10 m servings 319
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat a smoker to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Combine paprika, chili powder, cayenne, black pepper, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix completely with a fork until well combined.
- Spatchcock the chicken by placing chicken, breast side down, on a work surface. Starting at the tail end, cut along both sides of backbone with kitchen shears. Remove backbone. Grabbing hold of both sides of the chicken, open it like a book. Turn breast side up. Push down on each side of breast with your hands until you hear it crack. Flatten. Rub with the seasoning blend.
- Smoke until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, reads 140 degrees F (60 degrees C), about 3 1/2 hours. Turn up the heat to 350 to 400 degrees F (175 to 200 degrees C) and get direct heat on the skin to finish out with an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (71 degrees C).
- Remove from heat, cover in foil, and allow to rest until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), about 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Spatchcocking the chicken prior to smoking is optional.
- You can also rub the chicken with the spices up to 24 hours ahead of time and refrigerate. If you can't handle heat, I'd suggest 2 teaspoons of cayenne instead of 2 tablespoons.
Per Serving: 319 calories; 12.2 7.5 44.6 132 1118 Full nutrition