Fried Shrimp Spring Rolls
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 270
Original recipe yields 20 servings (20 spring rolls)
- Soak bean thread noodles and shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes until soft. Drain. Cut noodles into 1-inch pieces. Mince shiitake mushrooms.
- Combine noodles, mushrooms, onion, jicama, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Halve each shrimp lengthwise and cut each half into three 1-inch pieces. Lightly flatten each piece and add to the vegetables. Add egg, fish sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Use a large wooden spoon or your hands to mix together.
- Cut each spring roll wrapper diagonally into 2 triangles. Separate the wrappers and cover them with plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
- Place a small bowl of water near the work surface. Working quickly, lay a triangle-shaped spring roll wrapper on a work surface, with the longest side of the triangle closest to you. Place about 2 tablespoons of shrimp mixture in the middle of the triangle, about 1/2 inch from the bottom edge. Bring the left and right points of the triangle over the shrimp mixture, overlapping the points. Begin rolling the wrapper toward the remaining triangle point, tucking the wrapper around the shrimp mixture as you roll.
- Dip the fingers of your working hand in the water and moisten the edges of the final point, then complete the roll. Set aside on a sheet of waxed paper, and continue forming the remaining spring rolls until you have completed about 15.
- Pour enough oil in an 11-inch skillet to be 1/2-inch deep and heat over medium-high until shimmering. While the oil is heating, complete the remaining spring rolls.
- Place 7 or 8 spring rolls into the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Space spring rolls about 1/2 inch apart to avoid overcrowding the skillet. Remove to a cooling rack placed over paper towels. Continue frying in batches until all the spring rolls are done.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine hot water and sugar and stir until sugar has dissolved. Add fish sauce, lime juice, and sambal oelek and stir to combine. Pour dipping sauce into individual serving bowls.
- Place each spring roll on a lettuce leaf. Add mint and cilantro leaves. Wrap up, creating a bundle. Serve with dipping sauce.
You might also like
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 270 calories; 22.6 12 5.7 43 723 Full nutrition