Grilled Mac and Cheese
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 782
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Set up an outdoor grill for indirect cooking over medium heat. For charcoal, use coals on one side of the grill. For gas, shut off one side of the grill.
- Place an 8-quart cast iron Dutch oven over the hot side of the grill. Add bacon; cook and stir until it renders its fat, but doesn't crisp up, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onions and garlic; move the Dutch oven so only about half of the pot is over the heat. Cook and stir until onions start to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in milk and cook until hot, but not simmering. Melt in cream cheese.
- Stir in about a handful of Cheddar cheese at a time until 3 cups have been melted into the mixture. Move the Dutch oven to the cooler side of the grill. Stir in cooked macaroni. Crumble the cheese crackers over the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Close the lid of the grill and let cook until bubbly and reduced, about 40 minutes, rotating the Dutch oven every 5 minutes or so to keep from burning. Remove from heat and serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can cook this indoors, but you'll lose a lot of flavor.
Per Serving: 782 calories; 42.1 61.3 38.1 121 1035 Full nutrition