Best Refried Beans
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 50 m servings 169
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Put the pinto beans in a bowl and cover with 2 inches of water. Soak for 8 hours to overnight.
- Transfer the beans to a medium saucepan and cover with water by about 1 inch. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, celery seed, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Use a colander to separate the liquid from the solids. Transfer the solids to a food processor with diced tomatoes, hot sauce, oregano, and cayenne. Blend to desired consistency.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- When I made this, I added the spices to the food processor because the first spices weren't enough. I don't know how it would change if you added the cayenne to the beans before you cook them (perhaps they would be more spicy?). However, I would definitely wait until the end to add the oregano, Tapatio®, and tomatoes so you don't lose their flavors.
- You can save the cooking liquid for a soup base.
Per Serving: 169 calories; 0.9 30.9 9.8 0 295 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1