Ultimate Refried Beans with Cheese
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients15 h 55 m servings 173
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Cover beans with 4 inches of water and soak for at least 12 hours, or overnight.
- Place the pot with beans and water on the stove and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until much of the water has been absorbed and beans are soft enough to mash, about 2 hours.
- Crush the beans thoroughly with a potato masher. Simmer for 1 hour more.
- Take an immersion blender to the pot and pulverize the beans until there are no visible solids left. If any water remains, simmer until it evaporates and beans are reduced to a thick paste.
- Add milk, lard, garlic powder, salt, chile pepper, cumin, and cayenne and stir to combine. Cook for 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Transfer beans to a casserole dish and sprinkle with Oaxaca cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 20 minutes, removing foil at the 15-minute mark. Serve immediately.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can use cotija cheese instead, if you like.
Per Serving: 173 calories; 7.9 17.3 8.8 17 785 Full nutrition