MammaK's Pinto Beans with Ground Beef
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"My mother made this recipe for pinto beans with ground beef for us as kids and I have used it many times in feeding my 4 boys. When the space shuttle fell, our small town filled up overnight with searchers for the space shuttle debris, and this is one of the recipes that I used to help feed the masses. It was a hit every time. We served it with cornbread and a side salad for a complete meal or over a bed of rice. My mom would top off a bowl of this with homemade sweet salsa. Yum!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients11 h 20 m servings 483
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Place pinto beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak, 8 hours to overnight.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef with vegetable blend and onion until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard grease.
- Combine the beef mixture and pinto beans in a large pot. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, bacon bits, Creole seasoning, garlic, salt, black pepper, cumin, mustard, and red pepper flakes. Add enough water to cover. Simmer until beans are tender, adding more water as needed, 3 to 4 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Soak pinto beans as directed on the individual package instructions.
- You can use crushed tomatoes instead of diced, and garlic powder instead of minced garlic. Ground pork, or a mix of both pork and beef, is also a great variation.
- This recipe freezes well and is still great as leftovers the next day.
- If using a slow cooker, cook on High for 5 to 6 hours.
Per Serving: 483 calories; 10.3 64.2 33.6 45 1454 Full nutrition