Authentic Sicilian Granita al Limone
15 made it | 0 reviews |
"Lemon granita is one of my favorite things about Sicily. It's easy to make at home if a trip to the island isn't possible. Using Meyer lemons, which tend to be sweeter than regular lemons, helps replicate the flavor of authentic Sicilian lemons. Serve as an after-dinner refresher or afternoon pick-me-up. And for a nice twist, add a small scoop to your iced tea, like they do in Sicily."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 40 m servings 95
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Pour water and sugar into a saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring until sugar melts; do not bring to a boil. Remove from heat when the sugar has completely dissolved and the water is no longer cloudy. Add lemon juice and stir until combined. Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Pour into a freezer-safe dish that has a tight lid. Cover and put into the freezer until it begins to freeze around the edges, but is still slushy in the center, about 45 minutes.
- Lightly stir the crystals from the edge of the granita mixture into the center using a fork and mix thoroughly. Replace the lid. Close the freezer and chill until granita is nearly frozen, 30 to 40 more minutes.
- Mix lightly with a fork as before, scraping the crystals loose. Repeat freezing and stirring with the fork 3 to 4 times until crystals are separate and the granita is light, dry, and fluffy.
- Serve each portion with 1/2 of a lemon wheel and fresh lemon zest on top.
You might also like
Per Serving: 95 calories; 0.2 28.3 0.8 0 3 Full nutrition