Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp Scampi
Ingredients30 m servings 294
- Separate garlic cloves into a bowl and place another bowl on top. Shake until all of the peels are knocked off the cloves, about 30 seconds, being careful not to shake too hard. Chop peeled cloves into relatively small pieces.
- Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat and add chopped garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the garlic and butter into a small bowl and reserve.
- Pat thawed shrimp dry with paper towels and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine rice flour, paprika, cayenne, and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the shrimp and use a large spoon or spatula to toss until completely coated.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add some shrimp in a single layer and cook until browned and just barely cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add some garlic butter and cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat with remaining shrimp and garlic butter. Serve immediately.
- Chef's Notes:
- Recipe can be made with shell-off shrimp for easier eating but cooking with the shells on is the classic method. I think the best shrimp to use for this is the 21 to 25 per pound size.
- All-purpose flour can be used instead of rice.
Per Serving: 294 calories; 19.7 9.8 20.1 203 923 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 12
Driving up to the North Shore to the shrimp trucks is one of the things I miss most about living in Honolulu. This is by far the closest recipe I've found to that exact flavor. Perfect! Shell of...
Outstanding! Peeled all of the shrimp. Tossed with only 1/2 of rice flour/ spice mixture saving the other half for making this again! Super easy and extremely tasty!
I made it the shells-off way. It tasted great! My Husband and teenage sons loved it.
This is a good and simple recipe that anyone could make their own. I wish I had taken a picture but it looked a lot like what Chef John made. I'm definitely making it again. Side note, that gar...
Made this tonight and the wife loved it! I shelled the shrimp before cooking and that was the only deviation from the recipe. She first looked at the 12 pieces of shrimp I put on her plate and ...
I thought I'd make it to Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck on the North Shore of Oahu, but it is now closed. I believe that this recipe will be the closest I'll ever come. I have found other recipes claim...
Wow! Super spicy garlicky yummy goodness. Instant hit in this home! Will definitely make it again.