Fresh Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Icing
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Jennifer Meyer Bielli
"This is the real deal! After scouring my all my cookbooks and countless recipes online, I developed a recipe for homemade strawberry cake, no gelatin required! This cake has a wonderful, fresh strawberry taste similar to the flavor combination of strawberry shortcake in a delicate pink layer cake. The color and the flavor are subtle yet delicious. No neon pink here! Just fantastic strawberry flavor. I served this at my daughter's sixth birthday with friends and family and everyone loved it, describing it as 'bakery quality'."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 543
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9-inch layer cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 round 9-inch cake pans that are at least 1 1/2 inches high.
- Sprinkle strawberries with sugar in a bowl and let sit for at least 20 minutes, or until juices accumulate.
- Puree strawberries in a blender until smooth and set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and beat with an electric mixer. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Add 1 cup strawberry puree, oil, strawberry extract, and food coloring. Mix well. Add flour, gently folding until well mixed. Pour batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a table knife around the edges to loosen. Invert carefully onto a serving plate or cooling rack. Let cool, about 30 minutes.
- Make the frosting while the cakes cool. Combine confectioners' sugar, butter, heavy cream, 4 tablespoons of strawberry puree, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whip thoroughly, adding more puree to color and taste as needed.
- Sandwich cake layers with frosting. Cover the top and sides with remaining frosting.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use frozen, thawed strawberries instead of fresh.
- You can use milk instead of heavy cream.
- This can be made into 24 cupcakes instead of a layer cake. Adjust baking time accordingly.
- The strawberry extract and the puree can be tweaked based on flavor preferences. Red dye may be added to give more color without affecting the flavor.
Per Serving: 543 calories; 23.4 80.9 4.4 94 23 Full nutrition