Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 20 m servings 357
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Cut potatoes into quarters. Cut sweet onion into eighths. Transfer both to a large stockpot.
- Place the stockpot over medium-high heat and add water, chicken broth, green onions, garlic, 1 tablespoon salt, hot pepper sauce, 1 teaspoon white pepper, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is cooling, place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels and chop into bits when cooled. Reserve bacon grease.
- Remove 4 cups potato stock and set aside. Working in batches, puree some potatoes and onions in a food processor with some of the liquid; transfer to a slow cooker. Repeat until all potatoes and onions have been pureed. Turn the slow cooker to High.
- Transfer the reserved potato stock to a separate pot and place over medium-low heat until warm, 5 to 7 minutes. Whisk in sour cream until no lumps remain.
- Combine reserved bacon grease and butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook until butter is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and stir to make a roux. Increase heat to high and slowly add potato stock-sour cream mixture. Whisk to prevent lumping and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Reduce to a slow simmer and cook until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour into the slow cooker and add the reserved bacon.
- Cook on High for 1 hour. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Reduce heat to Low and cook for 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
You might also like
Per Serving: 357 calories; 23 30.1 9.2 64 1403 Full nutrition