Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 438
Original recipe yields 10 servings (1 9-inch round cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Separate pineapple rings and juice. Chop enough rings to fill a 1/4 cup measure. Pour 1/4 cup juice into a small bowl. Set aside remaining rings.
- Melt butter for caramel in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar, whipped topping, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth and bring to a boil. Pour caramel into a 9-inch round glass cake pan, coating the bottom evenly. Arrange pineapple rings over top, slicing them if desired. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl.
- Cream sugar and butter together in another bowl. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until it resembles a coarse pastry dough. Add eggs; mix thoroughly. Stir in coconut milk, pineapple chunks and reserved juice, and vanilla extract. Stir in grated coconut. Carefully pour batter over the glazed pan.
- Place the cake pan on top of a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- When baking, the caramel could boil over, so the baking sheet will catch any excess. Baked caramel is a pain to clean off the bottom of the oven.
- The coconut milk you need should have a creamy consistency. If it's semi-clear and watery, that's coconut water.
- Variation: Replace the vanilla in the caramel sauce and cake with tequila to create a pina colada cake.
Per Serving: 438 calories; 20.5 60.5 4.5 74 187 Full nutrition