Coconut Cake with Pineapple Filling
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 669
Original recipe yields 10 servings (1 4 1/2x9-inch layer cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time; stir in vanilla extract.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Mix in the coconut milk until batter is smooth. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top flat.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top springs back when lightly touched, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a table knife around the edges to loosen. Invert carefully onto a cooling rack. Let cool, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine crushed pineapple, juice, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Whisk until cornstarch is smooth. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until filling has thickened and just barely starts to boil. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Cream confectioners' sugar and shortening together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract. Gradually add coconut milk, beating until smooth; you may need to use more or less milk depending on the desired thickness of the icing.
- Cut the cooled cake in half to form two 4 1/2x9-inch pieces. Spread pineapple filling on top of one half. Place the other half, top-side down, on top of the filling. Frost the sides and top with icing, then sprinkle coconut all over icing, pressing gently so it sticks.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can spike the pineapple filling with rum for a delicious adult version!
- You may need to add additional sugar or lemon juice to the filling to adjust sweetness to your taste.
- You may tint the coconut if desired, prior to putting it on the cake, by placing coconut in plastic bag and adding a drop or more of food coloring and shaking until all coconut is coated. Add more coloring until desired shade is reached.
Per Serving: 669 calories; 32.9 92.2 4.1 62 136 Full nutrition