The Best Baked Rice and Beans
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 422
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour white rice into a casserole dish and season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and oregano. Pour in olive oil and stir until rice is thoroughly coated with oil. Add salsa, chicken broth, and kidney beans; stir until evenly combined. Cover very tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until rice is tender, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove foil, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, and fluff with a fork. Serve hot.
- Chef's Notes:
- Any long-grain white rice will work.
- You can use paprika instead of chili powder. Feel free to use melted butter instead of olive oil--it'll have the same effect.
- You can use any canned beans of your choice--pintos would also be great, as would black beans. You can use water instead of chicken broth.
- Once you unwrap the dish from the oven, taste to make sure rice is cooked before fluffing with a fork. If it's not, re-cover and continue to bake until tender.
Per Serving: 422 calories; 8.6 76.1 12.4 2 1344 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 30
Chef John, you rock! This is a great dish that uses pantry foods. I cut it in half since it's just my husband and me (usually more but we are doing the social distance thing!) Anyway, it's re...
I love chief John's recipe! I substituted vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I left out the oregano because it is my dads least favorite seasoning. I added 1/4 cup dry onion. It turned ou...
Very flavorful and will be a regular staple in my house!! Super easy to make too!
This is very tasty. Used basmati rice and felt that it wasn't cooked as much as it should be. It could be because I didn't use the tinfoil cover. I used the glass cover that might have let m...
My picky family teased me all day because I was making beans and rice. I assured them it was a Chef John. Needless to say this is a great recipe. My husband says he cannot wait to make it again!...
Love this! I didn’t have chili powder so used smoked paprika instead, and also halved the recipe and it still made a lot. So easy and so tasty!
Loved it! And I'm not the biggest fan of anything involving beans. Used black beans. I halved the recipe and it made at least 6 servings. Served with sliced avocado and sour cream. I might reduc...
I made this in an 11x17 baking dish. I feel like 9x13 would have been too small. I added a piece of Polska kielbasa I had left over from the Hungarian sausage and potato soup also by chef John. ...