Hungarian Potato and Sausage Soup
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 512
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook and stir until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove sausage to a bowl, leaving behind any butter in the pot.
- Toss onion into the pot with 1 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until onion just starts to turn translucent and picks up a brown color from the meat juices in the pan, 4 to 5 minutes. Add flour; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and paprika; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute, being careful not to burn the paprika.
- Stir in 5 cups chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally so flour does not stick to the bottom of the pot. Stir in cabbage and cook until it just loses its stiffness, about 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and bring back to a simmer. Add black pepper, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf, plus a splash of chicken broth if desired. Bring back to a simmer.
- Stir soup and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are very soft and tender, about 30 minutes. Add sausage and vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Remove from heat and ladle into bowls. Garnish with sour cream, green onions, and cayenne pepper.
- Chef's Notes:
- Olive oil can be used for butter, apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar can be used for white vinegar, and any paprika can be used in place of Hungarian paprika.
- If you can't find Hungarian sausage, use Polish sausage or any other smoked sausage. Use chives, parsley, or dill to garnish the soup instead of green onions, if preferred.
- Cut your potatoes into any size you want but pieces should be uniform and small enough to fit on a soup spoon.
Per Serving: 512 calories; 29.4 45.6 17.4 72 2710 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 28
Thank you Chef John. This soup is amazing!!!!! Its great comfort food especially with the crusty bread. I will be making this again, and for years to come.
Absolutely delicious! Comfort food for a Covid- Night In.
This is the most amazing soup! It's even better the next day, and is fairly easy to make. Thank you for the wonderful recipes !
Absolutely amazing! I followed the directions to a T and it was incredible!
This was fantastic. Super easy and amazingly filling. I took Chef Johns advice and put sour cream on it until I felt self conscious. Absolutely the way to eat it.
One of the better soups that I have made in a long time. Great mix of ingredients.
No changes - and it was perfect! Chef John - you did it again! Thank you!
Made it exactly as stated, although I’m not sure where my paprika originated from. Amazing soup; even my picky teenagers loved it. Great recipe!!!