Zesty Lemon Snickerdoodles
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"These cookies bake crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, with a delicious citrus twist and a crunchy cinnamon-sugar coat. An absolute Christmas killer! They smell absolutely heavenly when being baked. Fairly easy to make and the kids will love rolling them in the cinnamon-sugar before you bake them! Excellent with hot tea, milk, and coffee. They're great for dipping and stay crispy after dunking!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients40 m servings 229
Original recipe yields 18 servings (18 cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets and set aside.
- Beat 1 1/4 cups sugar, butter, and oil together until creamy. Beat in the egg yolks, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar in a separate bowl. Sift until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture in 2 batches, stirring with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Mix 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a small bowl. Shape the cookie dough into walnut-sized balls and roll them in the sugar mixture until thoroughly coated. Space cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Allow the snickerdoodles to cool on the baking sheets for 2 to 3 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- After step 4, you may choose to refrigerate the cookie dough for 30 minutes, and during the last 10 minutes of refrigeration, preheat the oven. Use a little bit of pressure when rolling the cold dough in the cinnamon-sugar to encourage proper coating. Do not flatten the cookies before baking. Add 1 to 2 minutes to the baking time.
- Use orange zest instead of lemon, or mix the two. I would not consider using an extract in place of the zest due to liquid imbalances.
- If you want, you can use a colored sugar in the coating mixture for a festive holiday decor.
Per Serving: 229 calories; 11.7 29.3 2.4 54 126 Full nutrition