Havij Polo (Persian Carrot Rice)
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 427
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Saute onion in butter in a large skillet over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove onion to a bowl, leaving any excess butter in the skillet.
- Sprinkle meat with cinnamon and salt; cook in the skillet in the remaining butter until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer meat to a small pot, leaving butter in the skillet. Add carrots to the skillet and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove carrots to a bowl; set skillet aside.
- Add water to the meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove meat and mix with reserved onions. Pour 1 cup cooking water into the skillet used to cook the vegetables and meat. Add sugar; mix until completely dissolved. Set sauce aside.
- While the meat is cooking, place rice in a colander and rinse several times with warm water to remove starch. Transfer to a bowl and soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Bring 6 cups salty water to a boil in a large saucepan. Drain rice and add to the boiling water. Boil, stirring occasionally to prevent grains from sticking together, until rice is no longer crunchy but still quite firm, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Butter the bottom of a large pot and top with several layers of rice, the meat-onion mixture, and carrots. Pour sauce over top. Cover the underside of the pot lid with a clean dish towel and place tightly on the pot to absorb moisture.
- Cook over low heat until crunchy on the bottom, about 30 minutes, checking often near the end to prevent burning.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Margarine can be used in place of butter, and lamb can be substituted for beef.
- Some people peel and thinly slice regular carrots, but to save time, I use baby carrots and zap them in the microwave for 2 minutes to make them easier to grate using a food chopper, blender, or food processor.
Per Serving: 427 calories; 21 45.7 13.1 66 283 Full nutrition