Banana-Nut Cake with Caramel Icing
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 380
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a fluted tube pan (such as Bundt(R)).
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix in pecans. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in another bowl.
- Beat 1 cup sugar and shortening together with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in banana, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add sour cream and mix until just blended. Add flour mixture and beat until blended.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar-nut mixture into the prepared cake pan. Top with 1/2 of the cake batter. Follow with remaining nut mixture and cake batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then turn the cake out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; continue to boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract; mix in powdered sugar gradually. Top the cooled cake with the frosting.
- Cook's Note:
- This icing hardens up rather quickly so you need to work fast. If it hardens up too quickly for you add some more milk (not too much) to thin it out.
Per Serving: 380 calories; 15.6 58.2 3.4 38 195 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Made as directed except used light brown sugar in the icing. Great flavors, very sweet, lots of icing--wouldn't change a thing!
This was really good had old frozen bananas which gave it a great flavor but I should have cooked the frosting longer it was sugary. Yes, I would do it again!
I was excited to make, but it was average at best. Followed all directions/ingredients as written. Cake was dry (considering it had both bananas and sour cream) and didn't have a strong banana f...