Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 432
Original recipe yields 16 servings (1 9x13-inch cake)
- Combine apples and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice.
- Mix 1 1/4 cups sugar and cornstarch together. Stir into the apples; cook and stir until very thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Stir flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and mace together in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Mix milk, egg, and vanilla together in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and blend until combined. Spread 1/2 of the batter in the prepared pan. Cover with the cooled apples. Drop remaining batter over the apples in small mounds. Spread.
- Make streusel by mixing flour and sugar together. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle streusel over the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use chopped apricots, peaches, pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries, etc. The possibilities are endless!
- Substitute nutmeg for the mace if desired.
Per Serving: 432 calories; 18.1 64.2 5.1 63 328 Full nutrition