Italian Braised Pork Shoulder
"This is a tasty, quick prep meal of braised pork that can be used in versatile ways. It can be assembled quickly in the morning or the night before for a slow cooker meal. You can add potatoes or other veggies for a stew, or reserve the liquid to pour over rice. My kids love the leftover liquids turned into gravy for mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 45 m servings 492
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Rinse and dry pork roast. Season all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add roast to the hot skillet; turn and sear until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer roast to a large lidded baking dish, leaving pan drippings in the skillet.
- Add carrots, onion, shallot, and garlic to the hot skillet and reduce heat to medium. Saute in the pan drippings until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes; do not overcook.
- Pour red wine, beef broth, and tomato puree over the roast in the baking dish. Add sauteed vegetables, parsley, and thyme.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven until meat pulls apart easily, 2 to 3 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Pork cushion can be used in place of pork shoulder. Do not remove any fatty tissue from the pork as it adds moisture and flavor to the dish.
- Sweet onion can be used instead of red onion.
- Instead of baking in the oven, you can cook in a slow cooker on Low for 6 to 7 hours or on High for 4 hours.
Per Serving: 492 calories; 28.4 16.6 26.3 89 680 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1