Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 253
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Mix cooking sherry, cornstarch, soy sauce, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl for the marinade. Pour over pork in a large bowl and stir to coat.
- Cut kabocha into 1 1/2- to 2-inch chunks. (The skin is edible and nutritious, so keep it on!) Set aside.
- Place pork and marinade in a large wok over high heat; cook and stir until crumbly but barely cooked, 3 to 6 minutes. Transfer pork to a plate.
- Add olive oil to the wok and reduce heat to medium-high. Add green onion whites to hot oil; cook and stir until onions begin to brown and turn crispy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic gloves, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and curry powder; cook for 1 minute, being careful not to burn spices. Add kabocha and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add just enough boiling water to cover kabocha pieces. Add soy sauce, fish sauce, dark soy sauce, steak sauce, oyster sauce, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in pork. Cover and simmer with the lid ajar until kabocha is fork-tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Stir in onion, cover, turn off the heat, and let steam until onions have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chile powder and serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Mirin can be used in place of cooking sherry, and Szechuan peppercorn oil can be used in place of Szechuan chile powder.
- You can mince whole pieces of pork instead of using ground.
Per Serving: 253 calories; 13.3 20.5 13.4 37 1005 Full nutrition