Brazo Gitano de Guayaba (Jelly Roll with Guava)
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"Recipe I've had for over 25 years. In Puerto Rico, the brazo gitano made by Franco in Mayaguez is a favorite. This homemade version may not be an exact duplicate but it is just as good or better, in my opinion. Mix and match the fillings to your taste. Cream cheese along with the fruit of your choice is a favorite of many."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 233
Original recipe yields 10 servings (1 jelly roll)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Break eggs into a small mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in sugar gradually. Add water, lime zest, and vanilla extract and blend well. Beat in flour gradually until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and loosen the edges with a sharp knife. Turn out immediately onto a tea towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Cut guava paste into chunks and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until spreadable. Be careful, it will get hot because of the high sugar content.
- Trim any stiff edges off of the cake and spread guava over. Roll up carefully in jelly roll fashion from the narrow end, using the towel to ease the cake over. Let cool in the towel on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the towel carefully and sprinkle additional powdered sugar over the top if desired. Slice to serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use guava jelly instead of paste, or any jam of your choice for a different flavor.
- You may also spread a layer of cream cheese (plain or sweetened to your taste) before the guava. If you do this, watch the temperature of the guava paste; if it is too hot it will melt the cheese and it will make a mess. Keep things just warm enough for spreadability.
Per Serving: 233 calories; 1.6 52.4 3.2 56 181 Full nutrition