Pizzadilla (Grilled Pizza Sandwich)
"I was watching TV the other day, and I saw a commercial for something called a Papadilla. What follows is my attempt to make one of these things. What this relatively fast and easy procedure allows you to do is make a single portion of what's very, very close to pizza in a pan on top of the stove in just a few minutes, without ever having to turn on the oven. Serve your pizzadilla with a side salad topped with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients35 m servings 703
Original recipe yields 4 servings (4 pizzadillas)
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 1/8-inch thick circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and brush with oil. Add 1 piece of dough and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 2 minutes and flip. Spread 1/4 of the sauce over the dough. Sprinkle 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and some sausage, mushrooms, and red onion on top, leaving about 1/2 inch of dough around the outside. Press gently into the middle of the dough with a spatula to make a crease; fold in half.
- Brush crust with a little more olive oil and flip over. Repeat on the other side and continue cooking until both sides of the pizzadilla are as browned and crisp as you like.
- Repeat with remaining pizza dough and toppings. Cut each pizzadilla in half and serve.
You might also like
- Chef's Notes:
- I used 1 batch of Wolfgang Puck's Famous California Pizza Dough.
- When you pick up the dough to put into the pan, it's always gonna stretch a bit more, so I generally roll it out about 1 inch or so less than the size of my pan.
- You can use any additional pizza toppings you like. Just make sure toppings are fully cooked before adding to the pizzadilla.
Per Serving: 703 calories; 27.7 78.3 32.6 51 2022 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1