Peruvian Aji de Gallina
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 629
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Fill a pot with water and add chicken breasts. Bring to a boil. Dissolve chicken bouillon in 1 cup hot water; add to the chicken when water is boiling. Continue to boil until chicken is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, about 20 minutes. Place chicken on a plate to cool; shred with 2 forks. Reserve 2 cups cooking liquid and then empty the pot.
- Place the same pot over medium-high heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom. Saute onion in the hot oil until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, 1 to 2 minutes. Add aji paste, turmeric, cumin, salt, and pepper; saute for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Combine bread, evaporated milk, walnuts, and Parmesan cheese in an electric blender. Blend until smooth; add the seasoned mixture from the pot to the blender and blend until smooth once more. Mixture should be bright yellow.
- Place the pot over medium-low heat and add yellow mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes; this will thicken quickly. Add reserved chicken liquid in small increments until mixture loosens some. Add shredded chicken and more liquid as needed until you get a thick, soup-like texture. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use wheat bread slices instead of white if preferred.
- You can use white cheese instead of Parmesan if you like.
Per Serving: 629 calories; 44.1 37.5 28.3 58 775 Full nutrition