Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 131
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake the eggplant in the preheated oven until very soft and easy to mash, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool enough to handle, 15 to 20 minutes. Peel and mash or blend it in a food processor; keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chile peppers, Bengal gram, and coriander. Saute until golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, 10 to 20 minutes. Grind into a fine powder.
- Heat remaining oil in the pan and add mustard seeds. Add onion and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in tamarind extract, turmeric, and powder mixture, adding water as needed if sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil; let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in mashed eggplant; let simmer, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt. Serve hot.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Sesame oil gives an awesome flavor for this dish.
Per Serving: 131 calories; 7.8 15.2 2.8 0 56 Full nutrition