Mama's Make-Ahead Bran Muffins
0 made it | 0 reviews |
JaNae Gibbs Cottam
"Mama made these for decades when she was a working mother (back in the day when most mamas didn't work). These are easy, so moist, and so good. And because you make up a big batch that's kept in the refrigerator and baked just a few at a time, they are a lifesaver for busy cooks. My kids can scoop 1 or 2 into a tin and pop it in the oven in the morning for their own hot and hearty breakfast. A lovely addition to a brunch because they can be prepared ahead and baked right before serving."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 25 m servings 135
Original recipe yields 72 servings (72 muffins)
- Pour boiling water over Bran Buds(R) cereal in a medium bowl and let stand.
- Beat sugar, shortening, and eggs together in a very large bowl that has a lid (I use a large Tupperware(R) bowl) with an electric mixer until creamy. Add buttermilk, followed by bran-water mixture. Add flour, shredded bran cereal, raisins, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just combined; do not overmix and don't stir again.
- Let sit in the refrigerator at least 4 to 6 hours before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease and flour muffin tins or line with paper liners.
- Scoop batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- This batter can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks (although I must admit I've never had it longer than a couple of weeks).
- Over the years I've tried making some substitutions/changes with sugars/molasses, shortening/oil, different fruit, whole wheat flour, etc., but always come back to the original recipe. It can be doctored to your heart's desire, but it's a great recipe just as-is! Shredded apple, dates, or other diced dried fruit can be used instead of raisins.
- For large muffins (that's what we usually make) bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 135 calories; 4.9 22.6 2.1 10 167 Full nutrition