Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 580
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9x13-inch casserole)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sausage; stir to break up lumps and cook until lightly browned and crumbly, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and discard grease.
- Add undrained tomatoes, water, basil, oregano, and parsley to the pan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 25 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook rigatoni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until tender yet firm to the bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, rinse under cool water, and drain again. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Uncover the sauce and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add 2/3 of the sauce to the pasta; toss to combine. Stir in mozzarella cheese and 1 cup Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a 9x13-inch baking dish, pour remaining sauce over top, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, and bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes longer.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- If you like it spicy, use 1 pound mild Italian sausage and 1 pound hot Italian sausage. For a healthier version, use turkey sausage.
- If freezing and baking later, increase the baking time by 30 minutes.
- If you don't have fresh herbs, use dried instead: 2 teaspoons of dried basil, and 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano and dried parsley.
Per Serving: 580 calories; 26.1 53.6 31.7 63 1326 Full nutrition