Fried Mozzarella Puffs
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 289
- Combine water, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer; pour in flour all at once and reduce heat to medium. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until a dough starts coming together. Cook, scraping up and stirring the dough, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; transfer dough to a mixing bowl. Let cool until no longer hot but still very warm, 5 to 10 minutes. Add egg and season with cayenne and freshly ground black pepper. Whisk vigorously until mixture combines into a very soft, sticky dough. Switch to a spatula and scrape dough into a ball.
- Seal dough and spatula with plastic wrap and refrigerate in the bowl until cool, about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, season marinara sauce with oregano, red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar in a small pot over medium heat. Add anchovy fillet. Stir together and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes; turn off heat and let sit until ready to use.
- Grate mozzarella cheese over the dough and stir to combine.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep fryer or heavy-duty pan over medium heat. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (93 degrees C) or any temperature for keeping warm.
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough per puff and form into a football shape using two spoons. Fry puffs, 5 or 6 at a time, in the hot oil until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Keep puffs warm in low oven while frying the rest. Serve with hot marinara sauce.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 289 calories; 23.7 12.1 7.4 55 645 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
These are amazing. We kept some warm as suggested, and it was great. We didn't make the sauce out of laziness, but they are so crispy and delicious.
I made them according to the recipe for dinner and they were amazing! They were ever so slightly too salty for my taste but i will adjust and make them again. They were so crispy and tasty.
I made this tonight, with no changes to the recipe. They are fantastic. Wife and daughters all loved them. My wife and I liked the sauce. One daughter liked it, one didn't. Great recipe. I...
I had a dinner event and made this as an appetizer, super easy and I didn't have a single one left within 5 minutes! I made a second batch with almond flour as a gluten free option but they we...