Instant Pot® Vegetarian Hoppin' John
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 55 m servings 250
Original recipe yields 12 servings (5 quarts)
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) and select Saute function. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pot. Cook and stir onions and bell pepper until onions are translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and saute until tender, about 1 minute. Turn off Saute function.
- Stir in black-eyed peas and pour in water. Close and lock the lid. Select Beans/Lentils function; set timer for 30 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, green chiles, and Cajun seasoning. Stir in rice and more water if needed. Select Rice/Risotto function and adjust time for Brown Rice. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes. Stir well. Select Slow Cook function; set timer for 4 hours. Cover with a regular pot lid and let simmer.
- Season hoppin' John with salt and pepper and serve piping hot.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use any other salt-free hot spice blend aside from Cajun seasoning. I've used 4 teaspoons of Penzeys Chili 9000, or 1 teaspoon Penzeys Berbere.
- For non-vegetarians, you can add 3 to 4 strips of slightly cooked, chopped, low-salt bacon, or 3 to 4 slices of diced deli ham when beans and rice are added.
Per Serving: 250 calories; 2.5 46.8 11.8 0 380 Full nutrition