Walnut "Chorizo" Tacos with Pickled Vegetables
"A walnut "chorizo" meat is the base for these spicy tacos. Topped with pickled jalapeno peppers and radishes and finished with a squeeze of lime, these are a fresh take on traditional meat tacos. For a creamy addition, place a layer of mashed avocado onto the tortillas before filling with "chorizo" and vegetables."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings
Original recipe yields 8 servings (16 tacos)
- Stir together lime juice, sugar, and sea salt in a small bowl. Stir in radishes, jalapenos, and garlic slices and let stand for 30 minutes to pickle.
- Meanwhile, to prepare "chorizo" crumble, place walnuts and beans in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 2 tablespoons oil and remaining crumble ingredients to food processor and pulse again until mixture is finely chopped and resembles ground meat, stirring several times and moving the mixture from the bottom of the food processor bowl to the top to evenly mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a very large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add "chorizo" mixture to skillet and cook for 10 minutes or until mixture is nicely browned and resembles ground meat, stirring frequently.
- Brush each tortilla lightly with oil or coat with cooking spray. Cook briefly on a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat to brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Keep tortillas warm in foil until ready to serve.
- Remove pickled vegetables from liquid and discard garlic slices. Fill each tortilla with equal amounts of "chorizo" and pickled vegetables. Garnish with lettuce and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
You might also like
- Kitchen hack: Use a pizza wheel to chop fresh herbs.
- "Chorizo" mixture may be prepared several days ahead and stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.
- Nutrition per Serving: Calories: 520 cal Total Fat: 28 g Saturated Fat: 3 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 16 g Monounsaturated Fat: 7.337 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 960 mg Carbohydrates: 58 g Dietary Fiber: 12 g Total Sugars: 2 g Protein: 16 g Vitamin D: 0 mcg Calcium: 8 mg Iron: 4 mg Potassium: 530 mg
ReviewsRead all reviews 1