Coconut Curry over Sticky Rice
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 646
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Saute onion until soft, translucent, and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add apple, garlic, curry powder, tomato paste, flour, garam masala, and ginger. Stir while allowing spices to bloom and flour to cook, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 cups coconut milk, carrots, and potato; bring to a boil. Add 4 cups broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, and Sriracha; return to a boil.
- Toss chicken into the pan and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and check thickness; if it appears thin, leave lid off and allow to simmer until reduced to your liking, about 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, place rice into a bowl or pot and fill with water, a few inches above the rice. Shake from side to side with a flat hand and separated fingers while moving up and down. Pour out water and repeat process until water runs clear, about 5 times. Drain in a fine-mesh strainer.
- Combine drained rice, remaining coconut milk , remaining chicken broth, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in your pot and stir. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to a light simmer, and allow to cook until rice is fluffy and liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cover the lid with a towel, and let rest for 20 minutes. Serve with chicken mixture.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can add peas, green beans, and/or mushrooms for more vegetables. The animal products can be subbed to make this vegetarian- and vegan-friendly, and the chicken and stock can be swapped for beef as well.
Per Serving: 646 calories; 33 67 23.1 65 1377 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
It did not thicken. I have been cooking it 4 times longer than than indicated and it is still runny and thin.