Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 5 m servings 152
Original recipe yields 24 servings (24 small empanadas)
- Cook chicken and Buffalo sauce in a slow cooker on Low for 5 hours. Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Place in a bowl with cream cheese; stir until cheese cubes have melted and mixture is thick and smooth. Stir in celery and set filling aside.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until blended. Add shortening and process until combined, about 5 seconds. Add water and egg yolks; process until dough is very soft, about 5 minutes. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead dough until smooth. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and flatten into a 1/4-inch thick circle. Fill each circle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of chicken filling, fold in half, and press the edges together to firmly seal.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place 4 to 5 empanadas into the hot oil and deep fry, flipping as necessary for even cooking, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with remaining empanadas.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Neufchatel can be used in place of cream cheese, and masa harina can be used instead of cornmeal, if desired.
- Empanadas can also be baked at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 152 calories; 8.2 13.6 6 32 351 Full nutrition