Chestnut Cream Filling
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"My French grandmother always made a chestnut yule log or "buche de Noel au marron" every Christmas. Here is a recipe for the delicious chestnut cream filling. I had trouble finding a recipe for this filling, but I tweaked one until I got it as close as I could. Nothing will ever be as good as Mamie's, but this comes quite close! You can frost the cake of your choice with this cream."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 1372
Original recipe yields 20 servings (2 1/2 cups)
- Score the skin of each chestnut with a sharp paring knife.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add chestnuts and cook for 25 minutes. Drain.
- Peel chestnuts while still warm. Transfer to a food processor. Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and 4 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream; puree until smooth.
- Combine remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream, white sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and salt in a large bowl. Beat until quite thick, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Beat remaining 8 tablespoons butter in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Slowly mix into the egg mixture. Gradually beat remaining 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar into the egg mixture.
- Stir chestnut puree into the egg mixture, making sure to blend in well.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Make this filling with 25 to 30 chestnuts.
- I recommend using the cake roll recipe of your choice and filling it with this delicious cream, then rolling it up and slathering the top with chocolate frosting. You can make a "bark" design by simply dragging a fork across your log, and baker's marzipan works well to make little mushroom decorations.
Per Serving: 1372 calories; 20.7 282.2 14 33 35 Full nutrition