Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 456
Original recipe yields 6 servings (1 roast )
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic; saute until browned, about 10 minutes. Add pinto beans, soy sauce, truffle oil, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth; the filling should be paste-like. Set aside to cool while you make the seitan.
- Combine wheat gluten, yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, and lemon pepper in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix cold water and wine together in a separate bowl. Stir in molasses and liquid smoke until dissolved. Add liquid mixture to wheat gluten mixture and stir to a dough-like consistency.
- Separate dough into 2 rolls and knead each until dough feels similar to pizza dough, 3 to 4 minutes. Stretch each portion into an 8x10-inch oblong shape, being careful not to create holes in the dough.
- Spread cooled filling equally onto each piece of dough and roll up tightly, like a jelly roll. Wrap each roll with aluminum foil and twist ends closed tightly.
- Place a steamer insert into a large saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring to a boil. Add foil-wrapped seitan rolls, cover, and steam for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Unwrap steamed seitan rolls and place in a roasting pan. Baste with olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 20 minutes.
You might also like
Per Serving: 456 calories; 15.4 36.6 39.9 0 656 Full nutrition