Chicken and Black Bean Empanadas
1 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 101
Original recipe yields 40 servings (40 empanadas)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease 3 or 4 baking sheets.
- Combine black beans, chicken, Mexican cheese, salsa, cumin, and hot sauce together in the bowl of a food processor; process until combined.
- Stir flour and salt together in a bowl. Cut in pepper Jack cheese and shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add milk and 1 beaten egg; stir until well mixed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently, 10 to 15 strokes. Divide dough in half; keep remaining half wrapped in plastic wrap until you are ready for it.
- Roll 1/2 of the pastry dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut using a 3-inch round cutter. Re-roll scraps and repeat until dough is used up. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place 1 rounded teaspoon of filling in the center of each dough circle. Moisten edges with some water and fold in half. Seal edges with a fork. Prick the top of each empanada several times. Place onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Stir remaining egg and 1 tablespoon water together in a small bowl. Brush over each empanada.
- Bake in the preheated oven until brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can use finely chopped cooked turkey instead of chicken, regular shredded Cheddar cheese instead of Mexican blend, and green salsa instead of red, if preferred.
Per Serving: 101 calories; 6 8.5 3.3 15 84 Full nutrition