Rainbow Layer Cake
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 644
Original recipe yields 20 servings (1 8-inch layer cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, and oil together in a large bowl. Beat using an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Split the batter into 6 different bowls and add a different food coloring to each bowl. Pour about 1 cup of each of the batters into the first pan in this order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple, right on top of one another in the center of the pan. Pour about 1 cup of each batter in the same manner into the second prepared pan in reverse order: purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red; you do not need to swirl the colors around at all.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean, 34 to 38 minutes.
- While cakes bake, beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, and vanilla extract for filling together using an electric mixer. Beat in powdered sugar until combined.
- Beat heavy cream for frosting using an electric mixer until almost stiff; add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until cream holds peaks.
- Remove cakes from the oven and let cool completely in a refrigerator, about 30 minutes.
- Spread filling on the top of the bottom cake layer; top with the top layer of cake. Frost and decorate as desired. Keep cake refrigerated.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can also make this in two greased 9-inch round cake pans. Be sure to bake according to individual package instructions.
- To make orange= 2 drops red and 3 drops yellow food coloring several times. For purple- I actually used a purple from a neon box of food colors, but you can also mix blue and red.
Per Serving: 644 calories; 43.4 59.7 5.9 150 484 Full nutrition