Bistek (Filipino Beef Steak)
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 445
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Combine soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, sugar, fish sauce, and pepper in a bowl. Taste and adjust to your liking. Add sliced beef, making sure it is coated evenly. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or pan over medium-high heat. Fry potatoes in the hot oil until the edges turn golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan over medium-high heat and fry onions until edges turn brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to the same plate.
- Heat the same pan over medium-high heat. Reserve marinade and fry beef in batches, adding more vegetable oil if necessary, until browned and no longer pink in the centers, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to the plate and continue with remaining beef.
- Pour the reserved marinade into the pan with water to deglaze, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings. Return beef back to the pan with some onion, leaving remaining onion for garnish; reduce heat and let simmer until sauce has thickened, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Slide beef and sauce onto a serving plate. Garnish with remaining onion. Place potatoes on the side and serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use lemon or calamansi juice instead of lime, if preferred.
- You can make the marinade/sauce saltier or more sour depending on your taste by adding soy sauce or lime juice. Adjust as necessary.
Per Serving: 445 calories; 17.4 47.5 25.7 60 1953 Full nutrition