Sweet Strawberry Empanadas
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 195
Original recipe yields 24 servings (24 empanadas)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut shortening into the dry ingredients quickly until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle with cold water and mix with a fork until dough just holds together.
- Run your hands under cold water for 20 seconds, then dry them. Gather dough with your cooled hands and form into 2 balls. Cover one and refrigerate. Flatten the second ball into a large patty.
- Flour a flat, clean work surface. Roll out dough evenly, sprinkling with flour as needed to prevent sticking, to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into 4-inch circles using a cookie cutter or drinking glass. Dab a little water around the rim of the dough circles to make a good seal when folded over.
- Place a scant tablespoon of strawberry jam in the center of each circle. Fold in half to form a semi-circle. Pinch edges to seal. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet. Press edge down with the tines of a fork to seal further. Repeat with remaining circles, then with second ball of dough.
- Brush each empanada lightly with beaten egg. Cut 2 small slits into the top of each one. Sprinkle tops with decorator sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crusts are golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool further. Serve warm.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute apricot or pineapple jam for the strawberry, if desired. You can also use apple or cherry pie filling.
- Substitute cinnamon sugar (2 tablespoons white sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon) for the decorator sugar, if desired.
Per Serving: 195 calories; 8.9 27.3 1.9 8 15 Full nutrition