Copycat Fried Chicken Sandwich
Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 811
- Whisk buttermilk, salt, hot sauce, and ranch dressing mix together in a large bowl. Cut diagonal slits into the thick ends of chicken breasts and toss into marinade until well coated. Transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the breading: Mix flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, cayenne, and ranch dressing mix together in a shallow dish.
- Make the wash: Whisk egg, buttermilk, and milk together in another bowl until combined.
- Use a fork to pull chicken from marinade, letting any excess drip off. Dip into the breading to coat both sides; shake off any excess. Dip into egg wash mixture to saturate surface; return to breading to coat, shake off excess, and repeat once more. Let sit on a wire rack to dry, at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to between 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Fry chicken breasts in the hot oil until golden, crispy, and no longer pink in the centers, 4 to 5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a plate topped with crinkled up aluminum foil to prevent bottoms from getting soggy.
- Spread mayonnaise over hamburger bun halves. Stuff with pickles and chicken.
- Chef's Notes:
- You really want to do this with a smaller, flatter breast than the one I used in the video. The meat-to-crunchy coating ratio should be closer to 2-to-1 than 4-to-1.
- You can also pan-fry this in about 1 inch of oil in a cast iron skillet.
Per Serving: 811 calories; 39.6 74.6 37 140 3181 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I'll admit that I did make a couple changes: I used pickle juice instead of buttermilk (didn't have it) to marinate the chicken, I didn't add any hot sauce, and I forgot to add the ranch mix to...
So first off I used a breast that was WAY to thick which made for some very raw chicken in the center, this meant I had to throw it into the oil for a second round. Beyond my own personal failin...