Southwest Elk Stew
2 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients16 h 35 m servings 517
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place garbanzo beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak, 8 hours to overnight.
- Strain and wash beans and place in a slow cooker. Add elk roast, olive oil, and bay leaves. Fill with enough water to cover garbanzo beans.
- Cook on High until elk meat falls off the bone when poked with a fork, about 5 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 135 degrees F (57 degrees C).
- While roast is cooking, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add chile pods and boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove chile pods with a slotted spoon, leaving most of the water in the pot, transfer to a blender, and process to a thin consistency.
- Remove elk roast and shred meat. Add meat back to the slow cooker. Scoop blended chiles into a fine mesh strainer and press with a spoon to add sauce to the slow cooker; discard any solids in the strainer. Add 6 cups boiling water, salt, garlic, and smoked paprika, reduce heat to Low, and cook for 3 hours. Serve stew with cabbage, avocados, lime wedges, and crushed red pepper.
You might also like
Per Serving: 517 calories; 16.7 59.7 37.6 52 1414 Full nutrition