Baked Chicken Cacciatore
"This baked chicken cacciatore was inspired by a lonely can of stewed tomatoes that were in the pantry. This is simple to make and sooooo good! I love to serve this with mashed potatoes, but it also goes great with rice or pasta. We like it just as is, but feel free to "spice it up" any way you wish."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 276
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to the prepared baking dish.
- Add onions and garlic to the skillet and saute until onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and more oil, if necessary, and cook until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup wine into the pan, scrape the browned bits of food off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, and cook until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in stewed tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, adding extra wine if sauce seems too thick. Pour mixture over chicken in the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 45 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use skin-on chicken thighs if you'd like, instead of skinless, or a mixture of chicken thighs and legs.
- White wine or chicken broth can be used in place of red wine, if preferred.
- This can easily be made on the stovetop by adding the chicken back to the finished sauce, covering, and allowing it to simmer until the chicken is done, 30 to 45 minutes.
Per Serving: 276 calories; 13 14.6 22.3 70 608 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1