Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 401
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Liberally season chicken drumsticks and thighs with salt and pepper and add to the hot skillet. Sear until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate and allow to cool. Bone chicken, discarding any skin and bones.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet and turn heat to medium. Add carrots, onion, and celery and saute until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup flour until incorporated and slightly mushy. Whisk in chicken broth and water until smooth, scraping any browned bits of food off the bottom of the pan. Add chicken meat and bring to a simmer. Cook until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together flour, baking powder, parsley, salt, and pepper for dumplings in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until smooth. Drop batter by spoonful on top of broth, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 10 minutes more.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use bouillon cubes and water instead of the cans of broth but you need to add 2 cups of water per cube or it will be too salty when it reduces.
- I've also used the dumpling recipe on a box of Bisquick™ and they come out great and are easier.
Per Serving: 401 calories; 19.9 36.6 18 67 1145 Full nutrition