Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 279
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer* fitted with a paddle attachment on low speed just until blended and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. With mixer running on low speed, gradually add flour and cocoa and beat until dough comes together, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in 2 cups chocolate chips on low speed until just combined.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into a compact 2-inch-thick log (about 8 inches long). Wrap each log in parchment paper or plastic wrap, and freeze just until firm (but not frozen solid), about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove cookie dough logs from freezer and unwrap. Using a sharp serrated knife and a sawing motion, cut cookie dough into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. If rounds crumble slightly, press dough back together. Place rounds on prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, in preheated oven until firm, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets, about 20 minutes.
- To decorate, place one 12-ounce package Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips in a medium microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH until chocolate is melted and smooth, about 1 minute, stirring at 30-second intervals. Dip each cookie halfway into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has set, about 15 minutes.
- *If you don't have a stand mixer and prefer to use a hand mixer, use room-temperature butter, bake the full 18 minutes, and leave on baking sheets to cool.
- Make-Ahead Instructions: Dough logs will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 1 month. If refrigerated, let dough logs stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften slightly before slicing. If frozen, let dough logs stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- For the chocolate, you can also use 1 (10-ounce) package Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips.
Per Serving: 279 calories; 16.5 37 3.4 20 55 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
horrible recipe. There was no dough, just crumbs. I tried to knead the crumbs to form a dough but with no eggs to hold this all together it was just a mess. I would never try and make them again...
Not sure if I did something wrong, but the cookie itself was way too crumbly to slice neatly, and it didn't have much flavor aside from the melted chocolate.
Made without the melted chocolate because I didn’t want a really sweet cookie! Perfect!