Steakhouse Potatoes Romanoff
5 made it | 0 reviews |
"They say what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, but that's mostly because people just don't remember exactly what happened. Well, the only thing I didn't forget was this special potato gratin that Chef John Schenk taught me how to make 10 years ago at his restaurant Strip House. Not only is it the soul mate of steak, but it's also a great side dish for big holiday gatherings since you can make it the day before and bake when needed."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients10 h 30 m servings 370
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 casserole)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a casserole dish.
- Wrap each potato in foil and place on a baking sheet. Poke holes into potatoes using a knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven until very tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let potatoes cool to room temperature, at least 20 minutes. Unwrap. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled, 8 hours to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Shred potatoes into a large bowl using a cheese grater. Mince shallots to get 1/4 to 1/3 cup.
- Add shallots in with the potatoes; season with salt, white pepper, and cayenne. Toss with two forks until well combined. Add Cheddar cheese and mix well. Gently toss in sour cream until barely combined. Transfer mixture into the prepared baking dish, piling it up high, then patting it down very lightly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until piping hot and top is browned, 30 to 35 minutes.
You might also like
- Chef's Notes:
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons fine salt can be used in place of the kosher salt.
- Use black pepper instead of white if needed.
- If you do use shallots, note that a little will go a long way because they go in raw. Feel free to saute them in a little butter to take off the sharp, raw edge. Besides shallots, some thinly sliced green onions would be great, as would sauteed leeks, or even just finely minced yellow onions.
Per Serving: 370 calories; 22.9 29 13.5 61 979 Full nutrition