Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 30 m servings 335
Original recipe yields 6 servings (1 8-inch casserole)
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook until onions are translucent and carrots are just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Add tomatoes and juices, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Add parsley and oregano; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until sauce is reduced to 3 cups, about 15 minutes. Mix in fresh basil and season with sea salt and pepper.
- While sauce is reducing, combine water and 1 teaspoon sea salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until polenta is thick and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour 1/2 of the polenta over the sauce and sprinkle with 1/2 of the Fontina cheese. Layer with 1/2 of the remaining sauce, the remaining polenta, the remaining cheese, and the rest of the sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can double the recipe and cook it in a 9x13-inch pan.
Per Serving: 335 calories; 18.2 30 14.4 44 1088 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1