Vegan Sweet Potato Cake
"This sweet potato cake smells like autumn thanks to cinnamon and cloves, and just happens to be vegan. There aren't any hard-to-find ingredients here, just sweet potato, sugar, flour, oil, and spices. The secret to the depth of flavor might be the coffee, but the end result does not taste like a coffee-flavored cake."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 336
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and cloves in a bowl and mix well. Add cooled coffee, oil, and sweet potato puree; mix well. Pour batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.
- Stir together 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon orange juice, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add more sugar or orange juice, if needed, to achieve your desired consistency. Drizzle icing over the top of the cooled cake.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Cooled espresso can be used instead of cooled coffee. Or, to make this cake appealing to everyone, you can use decaf coffee.
- You can use pumpkin puree instead of sweet potato for a pumpkin version of this cake. Similarly, you can use 2 to 3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon and cloves. This would also be great with a vegan cream cheese frosting!
Per Serving: 336 calories; 13.8 50.4 3.1 0 164 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1