Italian-Style Broccoli Rabe
1 made it | 0 reviews |
"Garlic, lemon, and the nutty bitterness of broccoli rabe are a wonderful combination. I'm deathly allergic to tree nuts, but this Italian side dish smelled so good the first time I encountered it, I called my doctor the next day to find out if pine nuts are actually nuts. He didn't know. I went back and ate it anyway. Turns out pine nuts are seeds, by the way."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 269
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Combine 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, anchovy paste, and salt in the bowl of a small food processor; blend into a paste.
- Remove leaves from broccoli rabe and cut off and discard the bottom 1/4 of the stalks. Cut remaining stalks into pieces.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook uncovered for 1 minute. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in the ice water for several minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain. Wrap broccoli rabe in cheesecloth, place in a strainer, and run under water for 10 minutes. Periodically press the rabe to “wring out” any bitter fluids. Pat dry and transfer to a resealable bag. Add anchovy paste and crushed red peppers; marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until browned and fragrant but not burned, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the skillet. Add broccoli rabe and cook until fork tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, top with pine nuts, and drizzle with lemon juice.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Blanching the broccoli rabe reduces the absurdly bitter flavor of the rabe without actually cooking it.
- Nutritional Information:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of marinade ingredients. The actual amount of marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 269 calories; 24.6 8.1 7 < 1 332 Full nutrition