Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients40 m servings 178
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Rinse okra and let dry completely before cutting into 1/4-inch thick wheel-shaped rounds, at least 10 minutes.
- While okra is drying, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat in a skillet. Fry potatoes in the hot oil until nearly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook until beginning to brown, about 30 seconds. Add mustard seeds; cook until they start to pop, 15 to 30 seconds. Add curry leaves, followed by okra rounds. Stir-fry until okra is brown and crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion, chile pepper, garlic, and salt; fry until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add turmeric and fenugreek; stir to coat evenly. Stir in cilantro. Serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Wash and dry the okra completely before cutting into rounds.
- Using a wok is faster, but if you don't have one, a regular skillet or saute pan is fine.
- Potatoes may be omitted - use 1 pound of okra instead.
- Do not use a lid at any point while frying the okra. This will trap steam, which turns to water, which will cause the okra to become slimy. No lid! No water! Don't even add the onions until the okra is completely crisped up!
Per Serving: 178 calories; 10.6 19.3 3.5 0 302 Full nutrition