Mini Dijon Mustard-Tomato Tarts
"'Tarte a la Moutarde et a la Tomate,' the French tomato tart with mustard, is one of my favorite things to make with fresh ripe tomatoes. But after cutting, it starts looking a bit messy, so for guests, I bake these mini tarts. The low-fat crust is like a German Quark-Oelteig which I make with Greek yogurt (easier to find in the United States than quark, and less expensive)."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 173
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 mini tarts)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Generously oil a muffin pan.
- Whisk Greek yogurt, milk, and oil together in a bowl until well combined. Add flour, baking powder, and salt; stir until everything holds together.
- Transfer mixture onto a lightly floured countertop and knead dough until smooth. Divide dough into 12 equal portions with floured hands. Shape each piece to fit in the bottom of a muffin cup, place into the muffin cups and gently push down with your fingertips to form 1/2-inch high sides.
- Brush the bottom of each crust with mustard and sprinkle with Gruyere cheese. Place a tomato slice on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tarts have puffed up and are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- While the tarts are baking, whisk together olive oil, mashed garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl until smooth. Add basil and parsley and stir until well combined.
- Remove tarts from the oven and immediately spread the herb topping evenly on top of each tart. Let cool slightly in the muffins pan, about 5 minutes, then loosen the sides of the tarts and carefully transfer them to a wire rack. Serve lukewarm or completely cooled.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can also use whole wheat flour instead of regular all-purpose or a mixture of the 2 flours. If using whole wheat flour, which absorbs more liquid, you will most likely need about 2 tablespoons more milk. Add 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- You want to end up with 12 equal sized tomato slices, so depending on the size of the tomatoes, you might need 3 or 4 tomatoes.
Per Serving: 173 calories; 10.8 13.1 5.7 12 172 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1