Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 78
Original recipe yields 20 servings (5 quarts)
- Place carrots, celery, and onion in a large stockpot. Place garlic on top of vegetables, making sure it does not touch the bottom of the pan. Lay chicken on top of garlic. Add enough water to cover chicken by about 1/2 inch. Add pepper and chicken base.
- Make a bouquet garni bag by placing cheesecloth on a work surface and adding thyme, rosemary, and sage leaves. Tie cheesecloth into a bundle, and place in the stockpot.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is falling apart, no longer pink at the bone, and the juices run clear, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Remove chicken to a large shallow bowl, allow to cool, and reserve for later use. Strain broth into a very large bowl, discarding vegetables, garlic, and bouquet garni bag.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- For a low-fat broth, you can use a fat separator. Or you can just put broth into containers and allow to cool. When cool enough, put into the refrigerator and leave until the next day--then reopen each container and scrape off the solid fat on the top before using or freezing.
- When making soup from this broth, it is even better made with either herbs or freeze-dried poultry seasoning, and Italian seasoning blend.
Per Serving: 78 calories; 4.5 2.3 6.7 19 56 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1